Saturday, September 17, 2011

Watching by the sidelines


This song always reminds me of them. It was a time where things were okay but falling apart at the same time. No matter how much I loathe the guy who broke my best friend's heart, this is a story of them that I find bittersweet then and even now.

She was going to transfer schools. He was trying to be strong for her even if it meant being okay with the fact that she won't be in school anymore. They were at a gathering on the beach that night. She was fine. He was fine. They did not speak of the inevitable, maybe it was far from their thoughts, that was until this song came on.

His eyes watered but tears did not fall. She must have seen it because she took him away from the crowd to take a walk on a beach. I'm not sure if they walked for a long time or they sat down after a short walk. Either way, I remember her telling me that his arms around her and I'm imagining that her head was on his chest. Then, he broke down. Shoulders trembling, whole body shaking, silent sobs. He was crying, for her.

But that is a memory now, for her. It is obvious that I am watching all these by the sidelines but even so, it does not ease the pain that I feel for her when I hear this song. They are, in my opinion, perfect for each other no matter how incompatible she thinks they are. He makes her happy and she's happy with him.

It's hard for me to believe that it ended so fast. I saw this relationship build up and crumble in front of my eyes. I witness a girl's heart being shattered to pieces, I've watched her crumble so many times, because of him. It broke my heart just to think about the pain she has to go through. Seeing him every day, I've watched her brighten up at the sight of him while dying a little inside.

I may never know the amount of strength it took for her to get up in the morning and move on with life even though we both know she is far from getting over him. Every time I see her, I see the pain that is well masked behind everything, I know it hurts no less every single day.

I wish she doesn't have to go through all of these. It sucks to feel something like this, it's also hard for me to see her go through all these. Till then, she knows I'll always be there. She knows that I love her. It may not be much but I hope it might be just enough because everything will always be about him.

No comments:

Post a Comment