Sunday, September 25, 2011

Love of a younger brother

It was dinner time and there was a disagreement on the table. The topic of my two brothers who often argue came up. The older one defended himself saying that, the younger brother disrespected him and often scolded him too. I sort of disagreed with it but I kept my mouth shut. The little 6-year old boy said, in his defense, that the older brother is always bullying him and that the brother is always the one starting a quarrel.

For everyone who has younger or older siblings will understand that the older one will always lose this kind of battle. This is partly true because in this case, my parents and I often witnessed the older one being a little bit meaner than necessary to the little one. Obviously, as an older sister, you would not really take sides. My little brother is six and the older brother is sixteen but yet, the younger one is being the mature one. I am eighteen and I dare say that 6-year-old can be 16 for his maturity.

After promising me, my mum and himself, the older one promised that he would not speak to his little brother ever again. Upon hearing this, the little one did not appear to be upset, angry or even hateful. He simply continued eating his dinner like nothing happened. I can see his little face falling from heaven but he did not cry or shed even a drop of tear.

After the older brother excused himself from the table, the little one also got up but he left to get a piece of paper and a pencil. He started writing while asking for the spelling of his brother's name, " do not" and "okay". When I pieced together the words he's trying to tell his older brother, it broke my mum's heart as it broke mine.

I love you if you do not love me, then it's okay.

He delivered it to his older brother's bedroom, with a quiet knock on the door and "Gor gor, can I come in?" He was only greeted by a harsh no from the inside. So, he slipped the note under the door and quietly went to take his bath without a fuss. And my little brother is only six.

Then, I asked him, "Did gor gor say anything?"
"No, he didn't say anything."
"Are you sad?"
"Yes but good thing, I have Ipad to keep me busy,"
"Why do you love him if he doesn't love you?"

He turned away from the Ipad screen, looked me square in the eyes, "Because he is my brother, I love him even if he doesn't love me."
He is six years old and that was his answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment